Preparation Time: 15-20 minutes
Cooking Time: None. Approx 1 hour freezing time.
Serves: Makes 6 bars
Allergy Information: Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Dairy Free, Vegetarian, Vegan
- 200g 70% dark chocolate (or a suitable vegan or dairy free chocolate)
- 12 dates
- 1 tbsp. Lucy Bee Coconut Oil
- 10 tbsp. water
- 100g nut butter of your choice
- 30g unsalted peanuts or nut of your choice, roughly chopped
- A pinch of Lucy Bee Himalayan Salt
- Small oblong container 17cm x 11cm
- Start by melting the chocolate – either in a heatproof bowl over a pan of boiling water or in a microwave at 20 second intervals.
- To coat the ‘bar’ spread 50g of melted chocolate over the bottom of the tray and up the sides, then put the tray into the freezer to set. You’ll repeat this process once the chocolate is hardened (approx. 20 minutes) and needs to be done twice otherwise I found the chocolate on the sides fell off!
- While this is setting, put the dates, Lucy Bee Coconut Oil and the water into a saucepan and simmer over a medium until the dates soften. Keep an eye on these so they don’t burn. Once the dates have softened, take them off the heat and, using a hand mixer or food processor, blend the date mix until a smooth paste is formed, then put this bowl into the freezer to cool down for about 15 – 20 minutes.
- Now for the second layer of chocolate coating – remove the chocolate tray from the fridge and pour a second 50g layer of melted chocolate on the base and up the side then place back into the freezer to set.
- Once this has set, take the tray out and spread the nut butter over the base to make the 'nougat layer', followed by the date mix. Sprinkle over with some chopped nuts and Lucy Bee Himalayan Salt over. Top this with the rest of the melted chocolate, sprinkle over with the remaining nuts and put a lid or cling film over the box and put it into the freezer until the top layer of chocolate is completely set – I found this was about 30 minutes.
- When the bar is ready carefully remove from the box. Using a hot knife, cut through the block and divide into bars or slices.
- Serve from frozen as these will melt quickly.
Lucy Bee is a lifestyle brand selling food, skincare and soap products all completely free from palm oil and with minimal use of plastic. Lucy Bee is concerned with Fair Trade, organic, ethical and sustainable living, recycling and empowering people to make informed choices and select quality, natural products for their food and their skin.