Preparation Time: 15 minutes plus 1 1/2 hours to cook oranges
Cooking Time: 55 minutes
Allergy Information: Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Lactose Free, Dairy Free, Vegetarian
- 4-5 thin-skinned oranges or clementines (approx 400g in total).
- 5 eggs
- 50g Lucy Bee Coconut Oil
- 100g Lucy Bee Coconut Sugar
- 300g ground almonds
- 1 heaped tsp. baking powder
- TO DECORATE:
- Drizzle of honey
- Tbsp. flaked almonds
- 1 orange
- 1 tbsp. Lucy Bee Coconut Sugar
- 400ml boiling water
- Preheat oven to 190C, 375F, gas mark 5.
- Line a 20cm tin.
- Put the oranges/clementines whole, into cold water, bring to the boil, turn down to simmer for 1 to 1 ½ hours.
- Leave to cool then cut in half and remove pips. Leave skins on.
- Pulp the oranges/clementines, including the skins, with an electric hand processor.
- Melt the Lucy Bee Coconut Oil in a large bowl add the eggs, sugar, almonds and baking powder then beat with an electric hand whisk.
- Stir the oranges into the almond mixture.
- Pour into the lined tin and place in over for between 50 and 70 minutes. Check by putting a skewer into the middle of the cake - if it comes out clean, it is ready. You may also need to cover the cake with greaseproof paper after about 35 minutes to stop the top going too brown.
- I sometimes add 50ml of Grand Marnier or orange liqueur to the mixture.
- Decorate as required - I drizzled the cake with honey and sprinkled it with almonds. To top it off I added some candied orange slices - to do this, simply cut one orange into slices and place in the bottom of a saucepan then add 1 tbsp. sugar and 400ml of boiling water and boil until the water has gone and the orange slices are sticky.
Lucy Bee is a lifestyle brand selling food, skincare and soap products all completely free from palm oil and with minimal use of plastic. Lucy Bee is concerned with Fair Trade, organic, ethical and sustainable living, recycling and empowering people to make informed choices and select quality, natural products for their food and their skin.