Preparation Time: 25-30 minutes plus 30 minutes refrigeration
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Serves: Makes 6 patties
Allergy Information: Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Lactose Free, Dairy Free, Vegan, Vegetarian
- 100g red quinoa
- 1 x 400g can of borlotti beans, drained
- 3 small spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- ½ red pepper, finely diced
- 1 small white onion, grated
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 50g sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped
- 15g (handful) coriander, chopped
- 1 ½ tsp. cumin, ground or crushed
- 1 tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper powder (if you do not like heat, this can be missed)
- 1 tbsp. tamari (gluten free soy sauce)
- A pinch of Lucy Bee Himalayan Salt and Lucy Bee Whole Black Peppercorns, ground
- 1-2 tbsp. Lucy Bee Coconut Oil
- A little gluten free plain flour, for dusting the patties
- To cook the quinoa, place in a saucepan, along with approximately 200ml of water or enough to cover the quinoa. Bring to the boil then cover and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 20-25 minutes until the quinoa has absorbed all of the water and looks fluffy.
- Add the beans and cooked quinoa to a food processor and blitz until they form a paste – there should still be whole parts of quinoa and parts of the bean partially whole, which is fine. (You could do this step by hand with a potato masher, but may take a bit longer to achieve the paste).
- Add the paste to a mixing bowl, along with the spring onions, garlic, red pepper, white onion, carrot, sun-dried tomatoes, coriander, cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper (if using), tamari and seasoning. Combine the ingredients until firm and divide into ball-shapes - it should make roughly 6 good sized burgers/patties.
- Place these on a plate and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes
- To cook the burgers/patties, melt the Lucy Bee Coconut Oil in a frying pan, flatten the burgers and lightly dust with flour, fry for 8-10 minutes, turning half way through. Note: make sure the pan is not crowded and if necessary, cook the burgers/patties in two batches.
- Serve with a salad or vegetables of your choice.
Lucy Bee is a lifestyle brand selling food, skincare and soap products all completely free from palm oil and with minimal use of plastic. Lucy Bee is concerned with Fair Trade, organic, ethical and sustainable living, recycling and empowering people to make informed choices and select quality, natural products for their food and their skin.